Web Site Basics for Writers on a Budget
Yay! You’re taking a step closer to have your own special place in Cyberspace!
It’s EXCITING, but can be quickly overwhelming — especially if you don’t have prior experience with WordPress.org sites or basic HTML coding. This video will help simplify what’s involved with getting your site set up.
But not just any site: a site that is a smart investment, relatively easy to use, and a resource that people will take seriously! The services mentioned do require a financial investment, but in the bigger picture of Web site creation, these are fractions of costs it would take to hire a design firm. For example, widgets in WordPress sites are “pre-packaged” chunks of code that make it easy to integrate certain functions into your site (i.e. a Facebook ‘like’ button). You’ll be able to choose and work with widgets after activating a WordPress.org site.
Remember: It’s important to think in terms of what’s most COST-EFFECTIVE. Not what’s free or cheap and easiest. In the long run, that will cost you MORE.
Grab Your Pen and Paper — in this video I talk about:
- WordPress.org, which is the software that empowers you to create your own Web site. (Sort of like how Word allows you to create documents and informational files, etc.)
- Hosting, which is the company and service that makes it possible for your Web site to go live and be operational in Cyberspace. (Sort of like how a TV show isn’t seen until it’s broadcasted.)
- Themes and design options
Quick Links — Sites Rebecca Mentions:
- WordPress.org Web Site Software
- Tamala Huntley AKA WordPressWebSitesDone4U
- BitDefender Web Site Security
- Pretty Darn Cute Design
- Bluehost Web Site Hosting
How Can I Help Next? Send Me Your Question or Feedback from this video, so I can bring you MORE that will help you succeed! I’ll also personally let you know when the next video is ready!